Make your own free website on



Previously Posted News Articles



Hauser, Damian

Rocky Mountain News, 6/27/1895



Masons and Knights Templar Conduct Impressive Obsequies.


      The funeral services of Damian Hauser were conducted from his late residence at 414 Emerald Avenue at 2 o’clock yesterday afternoon, the Rev. Pettibone of the Boulevard Congregational church officiating.  The deceased was one of the oldest Masons in the United States, having been a member of the fraternity for more than sixty years.  At the time of his death he was in the 93rd year of his age.  He had been a resident of Denver for twenty years, and was widely known and esteemed for his many excellent qualities of mind and heart.  The funeral services were conducted by Highlands lodge, No 1, K. T., acting as an escort.  The pall bearers were selected from members of the fraternity as follows: George Lease, Allison Stocker, J. J. Walley, John Kountze, P. J. Sours and Peter Ferill.  Interment took place at Fairmount cemetery.



Bressler, James

Special to The News

Rocky Mountain News, 6/30/1895


BRECKENRIDGE, Colo., June 29—James Bressler, one of the oldest residents and highly respected citizens of this city, died this afternoon of kidney trouble.  He leaves a wife and a host of intimate friends. No arrangements are yet made for the funeral.


Bressler, George H.


Rocky Mountain News, 7/2/1895

Colorado Pioneers are requested to meet at headquarters in the Charles block, at 1:30 this afternoon to attend the funeral of George H. Bressler (of Breckenridge) at I. N. Rogers & Son’s undertaking rooms. Funeral at 2 o’clock.

A.G. Rhoads, President


Rocky Mountain News, 2/4/1895



A sad death occurred in Highlands Friday night.  Mrs. P. J. Maguire, who lived on Fifth between Scott and Murdock Street, died of pneumonia after having given birth to a boy and a girl a week before.  The family lived in a tent and during confinement Mrs. Maguire contracted the disease which caused her death.  Her husband is a painter and has six children left to care for. The funeral occurred this afternoon.


McCormick, J. B.

Richards, Judge Norman P.

Rocky Mountain News, 5/26/1895


Death of J. B. McCormick and Judge Norman P. Richards in Pueblo.

Special to The News.

PUEBLO, Colo., May 26—Two of the old residents of Pueblo County died early this morning within three hours, John B. McCormick and Judge Norman P. Richards.

     Mr. McCormick was born in Baltimore in 1823, enlisted in the Seventh Iowa infantry in 1861, and was mustered out at the close of the war as a major.  In 1867 he came to Pueblo County and had lived here ever since, occupying the same house in East Pueblo for twenty-two years.  He served as alderman, and was at one time acting mayor.  He became an Odd Fellow in 1844 and held the highest positions in the Colorado order.  A year ago, the fiftieth anniversary of his initiation was celebrated at Denver.  The funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon under the auspices of the Odd Fellows and the G. A. R.  Stomach troubles and a combination of diseases caused his death after an illness of three months.  He leaves a widow and seven children.

     Ex-Judge Norman P. Richards of the county court was born in Maine in 1820, and his boyhood was spent on the sea.  He studied law and came to Colorado in 1860, locating at Denver, where he lived for ten years, engaging in the practice of his profession.  He was county judge here from 1875-1879.  Neuralgia of the stomach caused his death after a brief illness.  He leaves a widow and one son, A. E. Richards.  Judge Richards was a Knight Templar and a thirty-second degree Mason, and that order will take charge of his funeral tomorrow afternoon.




Rocky Mountain News, 5/24/1895


Nothing in the Law Compelling the Distribution of Blanks by County Clerks

     Henry Sewall, Secretary of the State Board of Health, has addressed a letter to Attorney General Carr complaining that the collection of vital statistics, with the exception of the records of the Denver Health Office, has been almost totally neglected in the state.  He has distributed to the various county clerks, he says, blanks for transcribing the records of vital statistics with direction that they should distribute them among local boards of health in their respective counties.  In most cases, however, the clerks failed to distribute the blanks and local boards often failed, when supplied with them to make returns.  Mr. Sewall asked for the law as to whether the state board could compel county clerks to distribute the blanks, if the services of district attorney’s could be demanded in prosecuting delinquent clerks, and if delinquent boards of health could be proceeded against.

     General Carr finds that the law is defective in that county clerks are only by implication required to distribute the blanks and that no penalty is provided for the neglect or refusal.  Prosecutions would probably fail.  Neither is there any provision providing a penalty for failure of local boards to report.  There are ample provisions for the enforcement of sanitary provisions, but in the collection of vital statistics the law seems absolutely ineffective.



KNIFTON, William


Rocky Mountain News

January 16, 1895


KNIFTON—Tuesday, January 15, 1895 at the family          residence, 2015 Curtis Street.  William Knifton, age 62 years. Funeral from Trinity Memorial Church, Twenty-sixth and Curtis Streets, Wednesday, at 2 o’clock. Interment Riverside.

     The deceased was a pioneer in Black Hawk, his family being well “known to all Gilpin County pioneers.  He will be remembered by his associates while with the Gregory Mining Company as “Uncle Bill.”  He was with the Colorado Central Railroad Company while building through Clear Creek Canyon, and remained with them for some time after completion.  During the ‘90’s he was with the Colorado Iron Works and the Henday & Mayer Manufacturing Company, and of late with the Denver City Cable Company since it’s beginning.  He leaves a widow and two married sons, George, the eldest, being a well known resident of Denver.  Frank, the younger, is at present in Old Mexico and unable to get home.  The eldest daughter, Clara, was buried only three months ago, and the youngest daughter, “Sallie” was buried nine years ago, almost immediately after graduating from the Denver High School.  Mrs. Knifton has three brothers now living in Denver with their families, Joseph B. Tomlinson, John Tomlinson, and Edward Tomlinson, all Colorado pioneers.



GRAVES, Mrs. Lucy

Rocky Mountain News

March 7, 1895


Death of the First Settler in Clear Creek Valley.

At Arvada, on Tuesday last Mrs. Lucy Graves, familiarly known as “Grandma” Graves, passed away in her 70th year.  Mrs. Graves was one of Colorado’s pioneers.  She was the wife of Oliver Graves and thirty-four years ago located with him upon the banks of Clear Creek, building a log house which is still standing.  Their humble dwelling was the first habitation built in that portion of Clear Creek Valley.  Mrs. Graves was a member of the Methodist Church and through all her life was known for her good deeds and consistent Christian life.




Rocky Mountain News

June 2, 1895



Special to the News

BOULDER, COLO., June 1.—This morning Marie Latoria, a little girl 14 years of old, was married in the Catholic Church to a young Italian of Mashall coal camp who is only 18 years old.  They expect to make Marshall their home and coal mining their means of livelihood.


HORTON, Joseph T.

Rocky Mountain News

May 26, 1895


Joseph T. Horton, a Widely Known Miner, Killed in an Old Mine in Mexico.


Joseph T. Horton, a miner widely known in Colorado, was killed on the 15th inst. in a mine located in the state of Durango, Mex.  He was engaged in the exploration of some abandoned workings, when an immense mass of loose rocks, timbers and dry dirt came down on him and buried him many feet.  The accident was discovered almost immediately and heroic efforts were made for Horton’s rescue.  This was almost accomplished, when a second terrific slide of the same material occurred.  Day and night, for forty-eight hours, the work of excavating went on before the lifeless body of Horton was reached.

     Perhaps no miner in the state of Colorado was more widely known or more universally respected than Joe Horton.  He was a native of Nova Scotia, and came from Boston to Colorado in the early ‘70’s.  He engaged in mining first at Georgetown.  With the beginning of the Leadville excitement he went there and for a number of years acted as foreman of underground work on the Brecce Iron mine  and others.  He was afterward prominently connected with mine leases and development work at Robinson, Aspen,  Fulford and other camps.  Last fall A. W. Geist, manager of the Velardena Mining company at the town of the same name, in the state of Durango, Mex., secured his services in a trusted position in the mines of that company.  He was a man who made friends everywhere and all over Colorado men who knew him will regret his death.





Wolff, Mrs. Sarah A.

Sudden Death of the Wife of H. G. Wolff.

Rocky Mountain News, 6/28/1895


     Mrs. Sarah A. Wolff died at her home at Fifteenth and Dawson avenues, Highlands, yesterday morning at 9 o’clock.  She was the wife of H. G. Wolff and one of the most prominent members of the Pioneer society, as well as an enthusiast in all matters connected with education.  The cause of death was peritonitis, from which she had suffered but a few days.  Among her friends it was not known that she was ill, and the announcement of her death came with great suddenness.  In 1871 Miss Sara A. Carter came to Denver, her father, Prof. Carter, being a well known educator of the East.  One year after arriving in Denver she was married to H. G. Wolff.  She has always been an active woman in social and educational matters, the latter being almost a hobby with her.  A member of the Central Presbyterian Church, her influence was always felt in the affairs of the societies of that organization.  Mrs. Wolff was about 50 years of age and leaves four sisters, a son, her husband and mother to mourn her death.  The funeral services will be held in her late home in Highlands this afternoon at 2 o’clock.



BITZER, Conrad C.

WALROD, Frank C.

BAKER, George Franklin

Rocky Mountain News, 2/4/1895




Services Over the Remains Held Yesterday




Services Over the Body of Conrad C. Bitzer Conducted by Schiller Lodge of Masons—Frank Walrod Buried by Trinity Lodge, K. O. E. W.—Tribute by Parson Uzzell is the Memory of George F. Baker—Large Attendance of Friends at Each of the Funerals.


     The final act in the tragedy of last Wednesday night, when the boiler explosion at the West Denver power house of the Denver Tramway company sent three souls into eternity unwarned, was performed yesterday—what all that was mortal of the unfortunates was consigned to the grave.

     The funeral of Conrad C. Bitzer, the fireman who was killed instantly, and whose body was terribly mangled, was held at Miller’s undertaking establishment, 1714 Curtis street, and it was conducted by Schiller lodge of Masons No. 41, William Knight, pastor.  The lodge assembled at Masonic temple at 1:30 and under escort of Oheen City division No. 5, uniformed rank K. of P, commanded by Captain Heinig, and division lodge No. 2, K. of P., of which Bitzer was a member, marched from the temple to where the body lay. Lohman’s band, playing a funeral dirge, headed the cortege.

     In a handsome casket, ornamented with Masonic emblems in silver, and almost buried in floral offerings, lay the body of the dead fireman.  The floral pieces were exquisite in design and were the gifts of the lodges to which the dead man belonged and friends of the family.  There were the square and compasses, in roses, smilax and evergreen, from the Masons; the emblem of the Knights of Piths; a beautiful floral pillow, with the legend, “Our Papa” worked in violets upon a ground of white flowers, a wreath from the Tramway Company, and another from Mr. and Mrs. F. Siege.

A short service was performed by Rev. H. S. Felix of the Lutheran Church.  He spoke feelingly of the sudden taking of Bitzer and added words of comfort and hope to the bereaved family.  The body was then conveyed to the hearse by the following pall-bearers from Schiller lodge:--F. F. Evermann, Chris Weismuller, Frank Kaizer, Peter Fredericks, Carl Bruehne and Chris Ruhmann.  At the grave in Riverside Cemetery, the impressive funeral ritual of the Masonic fraternity was read and the body committed to the dust with all the Masonic Honors.


Funeral of Frank Walrod.

     Frank C. Walrod, who lost his life at the same time as Bitzer, was buried from Olivet Congregational Church, West Denver, at 1:30 o’clock in the afternoon.  The funeral exercises were held under the auspices of Charity Lodge No. 23 A. O. U. W., and interment was held at Fairmount Cemetery.

     The little church was filled with friends and sympathizers with the family when the body, which had been prepared for burial at I. N. Rogers’ undertaking parlor reached the church.  The funeral services was performed by the Rev. Mr. Upton, after which the A. O. U. W. took charge of the remains and conducted final exercises at the grave.  The pallbearers were: W. T. Crean, John S. Coeres, J. P. Etheridge, Wm. R. Gibson, G. J. Stirm and C. L. Smith.  W. E. Devore, deputy grand master workman and Don A. Swett, master workman, conducted the ritualistic exercises.  Among the floral offerings was a beautiful anchor and shield, the emblem of the A. O. U. W. 


Funeral of G. F. Baker

     The funeral of George Franklin Baker, the aged man who died from the shock of the boiler explosion on Thursday morning last, took place from I. N. Rogers’ undertaking rooms on Champa Street.  It was a sorrowful little gathering that assembled to pay the last tribute of respect to the memory of a good man.  His daughter and son, with whom he has made his home since his residence in Denver, were bowed down with uncontrollable grief, and as Rev. Thomas Uzzell spoke of the virtues of the deceased and comforted as best he could the sorrowing relatives, a deep solemnity pervaded the room.  At the conclusion of the exercises, which were short and simple, the body was conveyed to Riverside Cemetery.  Mr. Baker was born in Pompey, N. Y., November 17, 1822 and at the time of his death was in his 73rd year.  He was a man of fine attainments and ever ready to lend his aid to any good work.


 ALLEN, Mrs. Elizabeth C.

Denver Post

March 9, 1895


While Temporarily Insane, Mrs. Allen Kills Herself


The Aged Lady Brooded Over the Loss of Securities Which She expected to Leave Her Children Until Her Mind Became Unbalanced-She Took Forty Grains of Morphine With Fatal Results.

     Mrs. Elizabeth C. Allen, one of the early pioneers of Denver, committed suicide on Thursday afternoon by taking 40 grains of morphine at her home, 3939 Market Street.

     The pioneer lady was 56 years of age and became insane over her business troubles because of the alleged misappropriation of $32,000 of her money by attorneys.

     Mrs. Allen owned the two lots upon which the Mining Exchange is erected.  Two years ago she disposed of this property for a consideration of $50,000.

     Just $32,000 of this amount was invested by Merritt & Grommon upon a mortgage on property at the corner of Fifteenth Street and Court Place.  Part of the balance was invested in real estate, and the remainder was deposited in the First National Bank.

     After Merritt & Grommon made the investment for her she was anxious to place her securities in shape for her only daughter, Mrs. Hettie Drummond, who was the first white child born in Denver.

     With that intention it is alleged she called upon her attorneys and gave them into their possession with her blank endorsement.

     It is further alleged that the attorneys filled in the endorsement and negotiated a loan of $20,000 upon Mrs. Allan’s securities.  Two years ago, hearing of her attorneys’ actions, she endeavored to obtain their return, but was not successful.

     Wednesday, previous to taking her life, she remained up throughout the night in a condition bordering upon insanity over her troubles.  Her daughter, who resides with her, tried to pacify her but met with very little success.  On Thursday morning she retired and dozed off for a few hours but on awakening her condition of the previous evening continued.

     Mrs. Drummond wanted to send for the family physician but her mother would not permit her.  All day long she remained in a state of despondency.

     A little after 3 o’clock Mrs. Drummond left her mother to call upon a neighbor to send for a physician.  Her visit was only a few minutes and when she returned she found her mother lying across the bed.

     On seeing her daughter enter the room she said to her: “Hettie, I am tired of life, and God knows I have had grief enough.  My dear child I have taken a fatal dose."

A sixty-grain morphine bottle on a chair three fourths empty told her daughter the story and she at once sent for a physician.

     Dr. Jaeger remanded promptly and labored with the woman until 7:30 o’clock in the evening, when she died.

     Mrs. Allen was an old and respected resident of the city and a member of the Pioneer’s Association.  She crossed the plains with an ox team in 1849.

     The deceased leaves an estate valued at $75,000. The coroner has taken charge of the case.


CHRIST, Frailey

Rocky Mountain News

May 29, 1895


     Frailey Christ, one of the pioneers of Arapahoe County died at St. Anthony’s Hospital Monday afternoon.  The deceased was a cattleman, having for the past twenty-five years followed cattle-raising and farming in Colorado.  At the time of his death he was 64 years old.  He was born in Pottsville, Pa., and came to this state just twenty-five years ago.  He was a bachelor and he leaves one sister and one brother.


BOAL, George J.

Rocky Mountain News, 5/24/1895



The Widow Appointed Administratrix with Bond of $100,000.

     The will of George J. Boal, the deceased lawyer, was filed for probate in the county court yesterday and the hearing set for July 1, and an order to take the testimony of the witnesses to the instrument at Hastings, Neb, being entered.  The widow, Mrs. M. A. B. Boal was appointed administratrix to collect and her bond was fixed at $100,000. The will is dated July 4, 1887 and is witnessed by L. M. Selby and Louis H. Jackson.  It bequeaths his entire estate to his wife and two sons, Theodore D. and Montgomery, share and share alike, but all to be under the control of Mrs. Boal until Montgomery, the younger, reaches his majority, unless when Theodore reaches his majority she shall choose to give him his share or a part of it.  Mrs. Boal is named as executrix without bonds.


CASLER, Eli Eliher

Rocky Mountain News, 2/3/1895

Special to The News



CENTRAL CITY,--Colo., Feb 2—Eli Eliber Casler, one of the oldest mill men of this county, died last night at his residence in Black Hawk,  after a short illness of pneumonia.  He had been engaged in stamp milling since 1863, the date of his arrival here.  He first located in Nevadaville, working for the late Truman Whitcomb.  He leaves a wife, son and daughter.  His funeral will occur Monday afternoon from the Presbyterian Church in Black Hawk.  He was a native of New York State, and was 60 years of age.



Goldberg, Max

Knight, Orville

Denver Post, 4/5/1895



Max Goldberg Uses a Revolver With Effect

     Bang, bang, bang, bang, went the report of a big 45-caliber Colt’s revolver in the hands of Max Goldberg at the corner of Thirteenth and Blake, at 8:30 o’clock last evening.

  The sharp report of the gun discharged in the air saved Max’s chickens and led to the capture of Orville Knight, despoiler of hen roosts.

     Max is a great admirer of the feathered residents of the poultry yard, but for want of sufficient room at his home he parted with the choice members of his blooded stock.

     Farmer Goldberg, however, retained a few Easter idols, to add to the family dinner on that day.

     From all appearances Knight was jealous of his neighbor’s prosperity and decided on forced ownership.

     With that intention he visited the rear of Max’s poultry yard and was soon darting down the street with three members of the feathered family in his possession.

     Max, however, was watchful, and from a convenient position observed the attack on the hennery.  Max gave chase to the fleeing Knight, but the latter gave little heed to Max’s repeated command to halt. “stop thief”, sounded from the throat of Max, but this cry only served to quicken the speed of Knight and tighten his grasp on Max’s possessions.

     The pace that Knight was making was commencing to tell on Max, who, about this time became convinced that the situation demanded heroic action.

     Drawing his big 45 from his hip pocked he discharged the weapon into the air.  Along sped Knight and two more shots followed in quick succession.  The fourth brought Knight to a sudden stop, as the aim of Max was dangerously close.  Max arrived out of breath, but Knight released the “chics” and they disappeared in the darkness.

Max retained possession of his prisoner until the arrival of two city detectives, who escorted him to police headquarters.

     Judge Webber this morning fined Knight $3 and costs for his actions last evening.


 AYLWEST, Mr. & Mrs. Tom

Denver Post

April 4, 1895


Placed on Mrs. Steinbach’s Window It Causes Neighbors To Quarrel.

     Annie Steinbach lives next door to Mr. and Mrs. Tom Aylwest at Twenty-sixth and Page Streets.  They used to be on friendly terms and chat pleasantly together over the back fence.  They don’t chat now.  Their friendly relations were severed in the early part of last month and since that time several “spats” have occurred between them.  Last Saturday night the trouble reached a climax when Annie went to Mrs. Aylwest’s house and used loud profane and violent language.  Mrs. Aylwest retaliated by telling Annie that unless she left the house she would kill her with a broomstick.

     “It was this way,” said Annie in Justice Howze’s court this morning.  “Mrs. Aylwest haunted my house and fixed it so I could not sleep at night.”  She put a “tick-tack” on my window and it would go tick-tack, tick-tack all the night and I could not sleep a wink.”

     “What is a tick-tack?” asked Justice Howze. “A tick-tack is a nail on a long piece of string which they let flop against the window,” explained Annie.  “I know it was them,” she continued “for I caught hold of the string and traced it to their house and then I gave them a tongue-lashing and she said she would kill me with a broomstick.”

     Mrs. Aylwest denied that she or her husband had placed the tick-tack in operation but said a man had jumped over into their yard and had thrown a stone at the house.  The court took the matter under advisement until tomorrow morning.



Emily A. & John

Denver Post

March 19, 1895

     Emily A. Gribble and John Gribble petitioned the county court for permission to adopt a child 5 years old, whose parents are supposed to be dead,

and whose name is Clifford Harvey.  The child was until six months ago an inmate of the Cincinnati home for orphans.


WORTH, Maggie

Denver Post

March 16, 1895


An Actress Wanders Into a Dangerous Locality

     Maggie Worth, leading lady of the Curtis Street Theater temporary stock company, wandered from the wing of her husband last evening and was arrested at Eighteenth and Market Streets on the charge of drunkenness.

     Maggie’s husband found his better half associating with certain society to which he took offense.

     Maggie refused to return to the peace and quiet of the family fireside and the deserted husband appealed to Officers Poole and Burnett.

     She was taken to police headquarters in the patrol wagon and remained in duress all night.  This morning her husband failed to appear in the police court to prosecute his wife and Judge Webber discharged her.



deSPOTY, Norman, deSPAIN, Carman, RYAN, Annie & WALLACE, Julia

Denver Post

March 16, 1895


A Number of Market Street Inmates Arraigned.


      Judge Webber had a short docket this morning.  Carman de Spain and Norman de Spoty, two inmates of 2132 Market Street, were before his honor on a charge of soliciting and being inmates.  The women were arrested by Officers Holland and Lindquist, who were passing, dressed in citizen’s clothes.

     The officers were solicited and placed the women under arrest.

     His honor fined them $10 and costs on each charge.

     Annie Ryan and Julia Wallace, who robbed H. Parson of Lafayette, Ind., of $115, and refused to return the money after promising Chief Goulding they would, were arrested last evening by order of the chief on the charge of running a disorderly house.

     Their attorney this morning asked for a continuance until Wednesday which the court granted.

     Judge Webber announced that he would not make his appointments until the latter part of next week.






News Articles